It is March 1st so, Happy Youth Art Month! It is time to celebrate the children and young adult artists in our life!
Youth Art Month was started in 1961 with goals that are still relevant today!
- Recognize art education as a viable factor in the total education curricula that develops citizens of a global society.
- Recognize art is a necessity for the full development of better quality of life for all.
- Direct attention to the value of art education for divergent and critical thinking.
- Expand art programs in schools and stimulate new art programs.
- Encourage commitment to the arts by students, community organizations, and individuals everywhere.
- Provide additional opportunities for individuals of all ages to participate in creative art learning.
- Increase community, business and governmental support for art education.
- Increase community understanding and interest in art and art education through involvement in art exhibits, workshops, and other creative ventures.
- Reflect and demonstrate the goals of the National Art Education Association that work toward the improvement of art education at all levels.
It sounds like a job for S.L.A.M.!
This month, we will be highlighting the Visual Arts in our district and in our communities ( while continuing to support our fellow arts disciplines; drama, music and theater).
To kick us off in the right direction, along side the other districts in our region, our students currently have art on display at the local mall. This show will remain up all month.
Throughout March, SLAM! will be providing activities to celebrate art, promote our creative thinking and to honor all artists in our schools.
Later in the month, SLAM! will be traveling to the state capital to participate in Arts in Education Advocacy Day. Students will present SLAM! to state representatives, meet with the acting Commissioner of Education and sit down with the Maine Arts Commission!
We will highlight the activities of this month right here on Artitudes! So, stay tuned!
The Student Leadership in the Arts Movement! wish you a very exciting and creative month!